Mastercard Foundation has partnered with the Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM; www.ruforum.org), a network of 106 universities in 37 African countries to Transform African Agricultural Universities (TAGDev) to meaningfully contribute to Africa’s growth and development. The aim of the partnership is to transform African agricultural universities and their graduates to better respond to developmental challenges through enhanced application of science, technology, business and innovation for rural agricultural transformation.
Under this partnership, 110 undergraduate and 110 Masters Scholarships will be provided over a period of eight years. The scholarships target academically deserving yet economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities and those coming from conflict and post conflict areas of Africa.
The scholarships are tenable at Egerton University in Kenya and Gulu University in Uganda. Continuing students are NOT eligible.
Students enrolled under this scholarship program will receive comprehensive scholarships, leadership development, life skills support, entrepreneurship training and mentorship and exposure to community engagement.
For the academic year 2019, 50 Undergraduate and 20 Masters scholarships are available of which 70% will be for Kenya and Uganda nationals. Sixty percent (60%) and fifty percent (50%) of the scholarships will be awarded to undergraduate and masters’ female applicants, respectively.
- Be a national of Kenya and Uganda to benefit from the national respective scholarship quota
- Be a citizen of any African country to benefit from the Africa region scholarship quota
- Be from economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities, coming from conflict and post conflict areas.
- Be less than 25 years for undergraduate and less than 30 years for masters studies by the deadline of the application.
- Should have completed secondary school and/or diploma for a Bachelors degree application not more than two years from the time of this call. Continuing students are NOT eligible.
- The applicant should meet admission criteria to eligible programs in the University of choice (Egerton University or Gulu University).
- For admission into Gulu University for an undergraduate degree programme, one must have attained the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE)-High School Certificate (HSC) or its equivalent with two principal passes. For admission into Egerton University, one must have completed the Kenya Secondary Education Certificate (KSCE) or its equivalent with at least C+ pass.
- Demonstrate interest in agriculture, agribusiness and entrepreneurship
- Demonstrate commitment to leadership
- Have commitment to working in agriculture, agricultural value chains and rural development
- Have a strong commitment to community engagement and transformation.
Eligible Programs of study at Gulu University (in Uganda)
- Bachelor of Science in Agri-Entrepreneurship and Communication Management (5 slots)
- Bachelor of Science in Food and Agribusiness (5 slots)
- Bachelor of Science in Biosystems Engineering (5 slots)
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (5 slots)
- Bachelor of Information and Communication Technology (5 slots)
- Master of Science in Agri-Enterprises Development (5 slots)
- Master of Science in Food Security and Community Nutrition (5 slots)
Eligible Programs of study at Egerton University (in Kenya)
- Bachelor of Agribusiness Management (7 slots)
- Bachelor of Science in Community Development (6 slots)
- Bachelor of Science in Natural Resources Management (6 slots)
- Bachelor of Science in Animal Science and Technology (6 slots)
- Master of Science in Agricultural Extension (5 slots)
- Master of Science in Soil Science (5 slots)
- The deadline to apply for the MCF@RUFORUM Scholarships is Sunday 31st March 2019 at 17:00 Hours (GMT+3).
Applicants should obtain application forms for both the scholarships and admission from the university of choice. Applicants shall only apply to one university of choice. Application forms can also be downloaded from the following websites: RUFORUM (www.ruforum.org; http://www.ruforum.org/MCF/); Gulu University (http://www.gu.ac.ug) & Egerton University (http://www.egerton.ac.ke). Applicants are encouraged to carefully study the application guidelines and provide all the required information and documents prior to submitting the application. Females are particularly encouraged to apply.