About the Romanian International Scholarship
- The scholarship program is offered by the Romanian state, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to foreign citizens, based on G.D. 288/1993, for the academic year 2019 – 2020
- 85 scholarships will be awarded for under- and post-graduate studies in Romania, by means of selection of application files, organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and the Ministry of National Education (hereafter, MNE), in keeping with Romanian current legislation.
- The scholarships are awarded for 3 study cycles:
- a) for the first cycle (undergraduate): This scheme is dedicated to graduates of high schools or of equivalent pre-university studies, as well as to candidates who require the continuation of their studies in Romania. The complete cycle of university studies lasts for 3 to 6 years, according to the specific requirements of the chosen faculty, and ends with a final examination (licență).
- b) for the 2nd cycle (master): This scheme is dedicated to graduates of university/post-graduate studies; it lasts for 1,5 to 2 years and ends with the defence of a dissertation.
- c) for the 3rd cycle (doctorate) this scheme is dedicated to the graduates of university/postgraduate studies (i.e. master); it lasts for 3-4 years, in keeping with the specific requirements of the chosen faculty, and ends with a doctor’s thesis. Admission to a PhD course is conditioned by an entrance examination.
Romanian Scholarship Worth
- Free-of-charge tuition
- Free-of-charge accommodation (depending on availability, accommodation will be offered free-of-charge in students halls of residence, in keeping with the higher education regulations and within the limits of the sums available for this purpose),
- Financial support – a monthly amount representing : the equivalent in Romanian currency of 65 EURO per month, for under-graduate students (1st cycle); the equivalent in Romanian currency of 75 EURO per month, for post-graduate students (master degrees and specialization) 2nd cycle; the equivalent in Romanian currency of 85 EURO per month, for post graduate students (doctorate degree) 3rd cycle.
- These scholarships do not cover food, international and local transport. The candidates must be prepared to personally support any other additional expenses.
Qualifying Criteria for Scholarship
- All foreign citizens globally excluding those from EU member states.
- The applicant for the scholarship must not hold Romanian citizenship, did not request or did not obtain a form of protection in Romania, is not a stateless person whose residence on Romanian territory is officially recognized according to the law, is not a member of the diplomatic corps accredited to Bucharest or member of family of the diplomatic corps accredited in Romania, has not benefited from a scholarship from the Romanian state on the same course of study.
- The applicant for the scholarship must present study papers issued by accredited / recognized educational institutions, have good results in education, respectively an average of the study years of at least 7 (seven) corresponding to the scoring system in Romania or the “Good” score, as the case.
- The applicant for the scholarship is not, until 31 December of the year in which he / she was nominated, more than 35 years of age – for bachelor and master studies and 45 years respectively – for doctoral studies or for postgraduate studies.
Registration and Deadline Dates For Romanian Government Scholarships
The registration period begins on 14 December 2018.
The deadline for submitting the application files is established by each diplomatic mission.
Required Documents For Application
The application file must contain the following documents:
- Official letter issued by the diplomatic mission of the country of origin accredited to Bucharest or the diplomatic mission of Romania in the country of origin or residence:
- The MFA application form (Appendix 1) for a scholarship in Romania, filled in correctly;
- The MNE application form (Appendix 2) for the issue of the Letter of acceptance to study in Romania;4
- Legalized copies of the obtained study diplomas (baccalaureate diploma or its equivalent + bachelor’s, master’s and doctor’s degrees, if any) and their legalized translation into one of the following languages: English, French or Romanian, if required;
- Legalized copies of matriculation sheets / diploma supplements related to graduate studies and their legalized translation, if applicable;
- Legalized copy of the birth certificate and certified translation in one of the following languages: English, French or Romanian;
- Copy of the first 3 pages of the passport;
- The medical certificate attesting to the fact that the person enrolling in the study does not have contagious diseases or other conditions incompatible with the required studies;
- Curriculum Vitae of the applicant;
- Recent photos – 2 pieces, passport format.
Sponsored Fields of Study for Romania International Scholarships
- architecture, visual arts, Romanian culture and civilization, journalism, political and administrative sciences, education sciences, social and human sciences, technical studies, oil and gas, agricultural sciences, veterinary medicine.
- Scholarships are NOT awarded in the fields of medicine and pharmacy.
How To Apply For Romanian Government Scholarships
To get all the necessary information about the scholarships (conditions, necessary documents, enrolment calendar) and to submit their application files, the candidates should apply directly to:
- the Romanian diplomatic missions accredited to the candidate’s country of origin, or of residence, or to
- the diplomatic mission of the candidate’s state of origin accredited to Bucharest
Applications files should contain documents in the English or French languages.
If the application files contain documents in foreign languages other than English or French, they must be accompanied by authorized translations in one of the following languages: Romanian, English or French. Generally, Romanian universities may require that all enrolment documents should be accompanied by authorized copies and authorized translations in Romanian.